Brown’s Garage, established in 1912, is a specialist in repairs and servicing of all makes of cars, offering the highest standard of expertise. Our rates are highly competitive, without compromising the quality of work carried out. We pride ourselves on owning the newest equipment available to keep up with rapid technology changes.
We have a long history of providing garage services, including car repairs and servicing within Haywards Heath and the surrounding areas. We are proud of our extensive customer base built on repeat business, a good strong reputation and recommendations.
…and the long history of Brown’s Garage
Established in 1912 by Herbert Brown, the original garage was located in South Road (now Haywards Heath main High Street) next to what is now the Haywards Heath United Reformed Church. As the motor car was in it’s infancy, it was only really available to the most affluent and therefore quite scarce, so the main business of H. Browns Garage was the servicing and maintenance of bicycles and carts, the only really affordable means of personal transport as it was then.
The focus of the business gradually shifted to the automobile and as the Brown family owned much of the surrounding land, another premises was built alongside and named ‘The South Road Works’. H. Browns Garage became ‘H. Browns Motor Agent’ focusing on the motor trade and the dispensing of fuel. In 1970 the Company became incorporated ‘Brown’s South Road Garage Ltd’, then, just 9 years later all the land was sold to W H Smith and the garage moved to Market Place, forcing the name change to what it is today.
Haywards Heath, the name means hedge enclosure, there were several incarnations of the name dating back to 13th century finally settling in 1569 to what it is today. It is also rumoured that a highwayman called Jack Hayward who was notorious in the area also had a strong bearing on the final naming. Until about 150 years ago it was mainly farmland and heath within the parish of Cuckfield, then in 1841 the railway arrived (originally destined to pass through Cuckfield) and due the growth this brought, officially became a town in the 1860’s. It became known as the Metropolis of Mid Sussex.